Public Records Requests

Please note: Complete this form to request copies of records excluding building plans. If you would like to request copies of building plans please refer to the building plan records request procedures below.

Building Plan Records Request Procedures

Requests for copies of building plans will be processed in compliance California Health and Safety Code § 19851. Pursuant to § 19851 (b) Any building department of a city or county, which is requested to duplicate the official copy of the plans maintained by the building department, shall request written permission to do so from the certified, licensed, or registered professional, or his or her successor, if any, who signed the original documents. The individual on record has up to 30 days within receipt of the request to respond.

  1. Download Public Records Request with Affidavit (PDF)
  2. Complete the form and have it notarized. Notary services are available in the City Clerk's Office free of charge. Please call ahead to ensure a Notary is available at 714-573-3027. An original notarized affidavit is required.
  3. Submit the completed Public Records Request with Affidavit by mail or in person to the City Clerk's Office at 300 Centennial Way, Tustin, CA 92780, Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. or Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Upon a request for a copy or inspection of records, the City shall, within 10 days (30 days or more if requesting copies of building plans - please see the following plan) from receipt of the request, determine whether the request, in whole or in part, will be made available and shall promptly notify the person making the request of the determination and the reasons therefore. In certain circumstances, the time limit prescribed in this section may be extended by written notice to the person making the request, setting forth the reasons for the extension and the date on which a determination is expected to be dispatched.

Please note: That you will be contacted when the information is available for pickup and/or inspection, or the information will be emailed to you at your request. All document duplication fees are due and payable in full and are based on the City’s current fee resolution.