An empty house is a tempting target for a burglar. Vacation is a time of fun and relaxation. Do not let your vacation be ruined by crime.
Citizen volunteers will perform vacation house checks for residents of Tustin free of charge while you are away from your home. Citizen volunteers perform vacation house checks in a marked city vehicle and wear identifying uniforms.
A checklist of ideas to safeguard your home while you are gone includes:
- Make sure your home looks "lived in."
- Stop mail and newspapers or have a neighbor pick them up for you.
- Use timers for lights and other appliances.
- Install outside motion detectors.
- Keep lawns mowed and watered.
- Hide trash cans.
- Store valuables in a safe deposit box at another location.
- Lock all doors and windows.
- Secure all outside doors with a deadbolt.
- Place a metal rod in the track of sliding glass doors.
- Leave your blinds in a normal position.
- When you return home, if your house looks like it has been broken into: Stop! Do not go into the house! Call 911. Wait in a safe place for the police to arrive.
Request a Vacation Check
If you would like to have your house checked on while you are gone, contact 714-573-3200 or submit the below listed Vacation Check Request Form to the Tustin Police Department at least one week prior to your departure.