Recyclable organic waste accounts for about 40% of the material Californians dispose in landfills annually. In order for California to achieve its aggressive recycling and waste diversion goals it must remove organic waste from landfills.
The Mandatory Organics Recycling Law (AB 1826) requires that businesses arrange for recycling services for the following types of:
- Food waste
- Food-soiled paper
- Green waste
- Landscape and pruning waste
- Nonhazardous wood waste
- Organic waste
Multifamily complexes must arrange for recycling services for the same material with the exception of food waste and food-soiled paper. Most organic waste is recyclable through methods such as composting, mulching, and anaerobic digestion.
The requirement to recycle organic waste can be met by taking one or any combination of the following actions, provided that the action is in compliance with local ordinances and requirements.
- Source-separate organic waste from other waste and subscribe to an organic waste recycling service that specifically includes collection and recycling of organic waste
- Recycle organic waste on-site, or self-haul organic waste for organic recycling
- Subscribe to an organic waste recycling service that includes mixed-waste processing that specifically recycles organic waste
- Sell or donate the generated organic waste
Businesses and multifamily complexes must start recycling organic waste by the following dates:
- April 1, 2016: generators of 8 or more cubic yards of organic waste per week;
- January 1, 2017: generators of 4 or more cubic yards of organic waste per week;
- January 1, 2019: generators of 4 or more cubic yards of solid waste per week;
- January 1, 2020: generators of 2 or more cubic yards of solid waste per week, if statewide disposal of organic waste is not decreased by half.
The City will notify businesses by mail of the requirement to participate in organics recycling in advance of their required implementation date as noted above.
Please contact CR&R at 714-372-8272 to discuss implementing recycling services for your business or multifamily complex.