Emergency Management & Disaster Preparedness
The City of Tustin Emergency Management program works in coordination with all city departments and other agencies to strengthen the City's ability to prepare for, respond to, and recover from any disaster. The Tustin Police Department is the lead city department to coordinate all emergency management activities.
Emergency Management Program
Tustin has developed a comprehensive Emergency Management Program which includes all elements necessary to respond quickly and effectively to major emergencies. These elements include:
- Building and zoning regulations
- Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
- The Emergency Operations Center
- An Emergency Operations Plan
- The public safety element of the general plan
- Trained City Staff
A variety of activities, programs, and projects such as training, drills and disaster exercises are conducted regularly to enhance the City's preparedness.
Emergency Management Coordinator
The Emergency Management Coordinator is responsible for the City’s emergency management program. This position is responsible for:
- Ensuring compliance with county, state and federal requirements to ensure Tustin is prepared in the event of a major emergency situation.
- Maintaining the City's Emergency Operations Plan and Management of the Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
- Coordinating the training of city staff and the Community Emergency Response Team.
In a major disaster, it might be several days before vital services are restored. Tustin may be exposed to a wide variety of hazards, both natural and man made. Some of the potential emergencies city residents and businesses may encounter include:
- Industrial or Transportation Related Incidents
- Power Outages
- Severe Storms
Imagine you have no electricity, no gas, no water, no telephone service, and all the businesses are closed, leaving you without any kind of emergency services. What will you do until help arrives? Join the CERT program before a disaster to learn how to take care of yourself and your family.