- Community Development
- Building Safety Month
Building Safety Month
Welcome to Building and Safety Month 2023! The month of May has been proclaimed as Building Safety Month by the International Code Council (ICC) and the City of Tustin's City Council, with this year's overall theme being "It Starts with You."
Throughout the month of May we will specifically highlight "Building Safety is Personal - Building Safety Starts at Home" which brings awareness surrounding how building safety impacts our every day life as family members, friends, and individuals at home. On this page we will focus on Building Safety at Home, and will provide you with resources for home maintenance best-practices, and how to ensure a safe living environment.
For additional information on other home-safety topics ranging from fire safety tips, to how to be more sustainable to ensure a cleaner and greener tomorrow, and for more ways to get involved with Building Safety Month activities, please visit ICC's Building Safety Month webpage located here.
What are some ways building safety impacts you at home? Join the Building Safety Month conversation - tag the International Code Council on social media, and use #BuildingSafety365 to help spread the word!
Building Safety At Home
Regardless if you own your home or you're renting, keeping your home maintained is important to ensure you're living in a safe environment. Home maintenance encompasses a wide range of preventative tasks that all contribute to occupant health, occupant safety and security and overall sustainability. From mold prevention to electricity safety tips from a code inspector, here are some of the highlights pulled from the resources below.
- Never overload electrical cords or power strips. Be sure the total amount of energy used by appliances and lights plugged into the cord or strip does not exceed that capacity.
- Don’t use appliances that have damaged cords.
- For mold prevention, watch for leaky pipes, condensation and wet spots, and fix sources of moisture problems as soon as possible.
- There are several materials and items that shouldn't be flushed down the toilet, including medication, disposable wipes, coffee grounds and more.
- To prevent your pipes from freezing this winter, drain water from swimming pool and water sprinkler supply lines following manufacturer’s or installer’s directions.
Helpful Safety Resources
Please see the links below for downloadable safety resources and tips for your home: